Monday, January 31, 2011

Webcomics

Every morning, I start the day like many, many others--checking E-mail, facebook, and Twitter to see what transpired in the 6-8 hours since I signed off and went to bed. The next thing I do is read my favorite webcomics. Two of them are daily, one is Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and the other is Tuesday, Thursday so I have three new comics to read every day.

The first webcomic I got hooked on was xkcd. I don't remember how I stumbled onto this one but I love it. xkcd is "A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language." and comes with the following warning: This comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).

As a math geek/major with an unusual sense of humor, this is perfect. Whenever there is a science reference that I don't recognize, I Google it so I get the joke. I've learned a lot from this comic, and it makes me laugh every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

xkcd is written/drawn by Randall Munroe.

One day I clicked on all of xkcd's 'Comics I enjoy' and was sucked into the world of Questionable Content

I read through all of the archives and have been a daily reader ever since. QC is frequently rated PG and occasionally R but it makes me laugh every day. 

Looking back, I'm really not sure what drew me in to this comic. The characters are all a little geeky but it's not a geek comic. There are a lot of references and jokes based on music and bands I've never heard of. I love music but I'm tone-deaf and have absolutely no rhythm and am fine with whatever is playing on the radio so I don't seek out indie bands.

I think I was just drawn in by the characters themselves and their conversations with each other. The dialogue is witty and sarcastic, and often just a little bit mean. I can relate to Faye and a lot of her insecurities and her gallows humor. I like that there's a bit of romance without being overly dramatic and that the characters can laugh at themselves when they are being over-the-top. I have enjoyed seeing the artwork improve and the characters personalities develop and am looking forward to seeing what else is in store for Marten and co.

Questionable Contest is the fruit of Jeph Jacques' brains. He and his characters are all on Twitter.

From QC's 'other good comics' list, I discovered Girls with Slingshots and I believe this has become my favorite. It is also occasionally rated PG or above and is hilarious every day. I can definitely relate to many aspects of Hazel and Jamie. And a little to Clarice and even Candy.

I've read the archives several times and am a happy daily reader.

Everything about this comic is wonderful, the characters have great personalities on their own and as a group. I think every girl could find someone in this comic that she can relate to, and all of her friends too.

Girls with Slingshots is the brainchild of Danielle Corsetto, who is also on Twitter. 

From GWS, I discovered All New Issues (they're cousins). This is another comic that I'm not sure why I like it but I do. The main interests of these characters are wrestling and comic books, two things I don't have much interest in. But the characters' relationships and conversations are interesting and funny. This is a new comic, updates on Tuesday and Thursdays, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

All New Issues is a joint endeavor by Bill Ellis and Danielle O'Brien, also on Twitter.  

I recommend checking out these comics because they will get you laughing and that is a great way to start the day! And while you're at it, follow them on Twitter.


3 comments:

  1. Oh man! THIS is just what I needed. I didn't know ANY of these comics existed.

    Another way to wile away my time when I should be working!

    You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how you like them! There's a cute winter hat in Girls With Slingshots that I'm crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you enjoy Girls With Slingshots - what a great web-comic. My Tues/Thurs comic of choice is called Darwin Carmichael is Going to Hell. (www.dcisgoingtohell.com) It is sometimes hysterical, but really it is more of a story-telling comic. You will love Skittles!

    @HotDorkChick

    ReplyDelete